Nuclear Power in India has become a necessity in order to fulfill the domestic energy demand of a growing economy. In order to bridge the energy gap, the plan is to increase installed nuclear power generation to 40 GWe in the coming years with international co-operation. The Three stage Indian nuclear power program incorporating closed fuel cycle and Thorium utilization has gained momentum and more power plants are planned in various parts of the country. As a consequence, the Indian nuclear industry is set to expand significantly in the near future.
Walchandnagar Industries Limited (WIL) has been associated with the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) particularly with Nuclear Power corporation of India limited (NPCIL), and Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) for over four decades and with Bharatiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam (BHAVINI) for a decade in the manufacture and supply of core equipment for various nuclear power plants. WIL is accredited with pre-qualifications from the NPCIL, BARC and BHAVINI for supplying Class I nuclear components. It has the capabilities to manufacture components from exotic materials complying with various International codes and inspection requirements. WIL also undertakes major installation and integration activities for nuclear power plants at site. WIL is executing the Sodium Piping contract for 500 MWe PFBR Nuclear Power Reactor at Kalpakkam.
In the past WIL has supplied core equipment such as Dump Tanks, Fuel Magazines, Calandrias, End shields, Moderator Heat Exchangers etc. for 220 MWe & 500 MWe PHWR and PFBR reactors. Calandrias & Moderator Heat Exchangers for 700 MWe PHWR Reactors are under manufacturing.
The company has also recently developed design capability for critical equipment such as Moderator Heat Exchanger and Steam Generator for NPCIL. Accreditation from ASME for N-stamp is also underway.
WIL has been identified as a prospective supplier of nuclear equipment by foreign firms. In this regard Atomstroyexport, Atomenergomash and Areva have already established close contacts. This trend of interacting with foreign companies is set to grow, with more foreign players entering the Indian Nuclear scene and seeking partners for local manufacture.
In recognition of the immense contribution made in the field of nuclear equipment manufacturing, WIL was honored by the Indian Nuclear Society “Industrial Excellence award”.
- WIL has a strong in house design engineering capability in the Walchand Technology Group at Pune. Staffed by highly qualified engineers and having adequate computational facilities, and a variety of design software, this team has eminently met our customers’ requirements. The manufacturing facility at Walchandnagar is one of the finest in the private sector in India with ability to manufacture a wide range of products, handle a variety of raw materials and with enormous infrastructure for heavy fabrication and machining often required for such special products. It also has highly vibrant project execution and quality management teams with highly skilled engineers in the field of mechanical, electrical & instrumentation.
Complying with various codes
- Fabrication of components complying with various codes of conformance such as A.S.M.E. Sec. VIII Div. I, A.S.M.E Sec. VIII Div. II, A.S.M.E. Sec. III NB, A.S.M.E. Sec.III NC, A.S.M.E Sec.III ND, A.S.M.E. Sec.III NF, I.B.R. Act 1948, ISO, DIN, Masrkblatter IS2826, Customer codes, etc
- Welding procedures and welders qualification under the various inspection surveillances such as I.B.R., N.P.C.I.L, V.S.S.C, E.I.L, L.R.I.S, A.B.S., P.D.I.L, Bax Council, T.E.I.L, B.V., D.R.D.L, Holtec, etc.
Critical materials handled
Cladded Steel (Stainless Steel, Titanium Cladding), Alloy Steel (Including varieties of Cr, Mo Steels), Stainless Steels ( Austinetic, Martensitic & Super Duplex Types), High Strength Maraging Steel & Vanadium Steel, Inconel, Monel & Incoloy, Titanium Alloys, Aluminum Alloys, Cobalt Alloy, etc.
Key Manufacturing facilities
- High productive CNC Plasma/flame cutting machine and sophisticated Automatic Welding Systems for fabrication of complex and large size equipment using exotic materials
- Heavy-duty plate bending machines and hydraulic presses for wide variety of metal forming operations
- Dust Free Enclosures for precision welding and critical assembly
- Large sized furnaces with Data Acquisition Systems for various heat treatment processes
- State of the art machining facilities include heavy-duty CNC Horizontal and Vertical Boring machines, Gear Cutting, Gear Grinding Machines etc.
- High accuracy optical tooling and measuring instruments to enable precision measurements on large sized equipment
- Extensive Non Destructive Test facilities consisting of Ultra-sonic, Radiography, Helium Leak detection & Pressure Testing with strain gauge measurement to cater inspection requirements.
For further details, refer manufacturing capabilities section in “About Us”.
For further details, refer Manufacturing Resources
Key equipments manufactured by WIL for NPCIL / BHAVINI/ BARC :
- Air Cooled thermal vessel
- Dump Tanks
- End shields
- Fuelling Machines
- Fuel Transfer Magazines
- Air / Water Cooled Thermal Shields
- Heat Exchangers
- Distillation Columns
- Accumulators For D2O & N2
- Shielding Plugs
- Sealing Plugs
- Core Catcher
- Core Support Structure
- Intermediate Heat Exchangers
- Decay Heat Exchangers
- Sodium to Air Heat Exchangers
- Core Equipment for Nuclear Submarine
Most of these involved material of construction such as SA 516 grade III /SS 304 L / SS 316L / SS 316 LN, CLAD steel / ASTM A36 / Alloy Steel / Mod.9Cr 1 Mo etc. and manufacturing within precise tolerances.
|Details of some of the key Equipment Manufactured|
|Calandrias for 500 MWe||Ø 8M X 5.2M||2||SS 304 L|
|Calandrias for 235 MWe||Ø 6M X 4.2M||11||SS 304 L|
|End Shields||Ø 5M X 1M||4||SS 304 L|
|Moderator Heat Exchanger||Ø 1.3M X 9M||4||SS 316 L|
|Core Catcher||Ø 8M X 1.5M||1||SS 316 LN|
|Core Support Structure||Ø 11.5M X 7M X 2M||1||SS 316 LN|
|Intermediate Heat Exchangers||Ø 2.34 M X 18 M L||5||SS 316 LN|
|Decay Heat Exchanger||Ø 0.7 M X 11 M L||2||SS 316 LN|
|Sodium to Air Heat Exchanger||Ø 5.33 M X 13.5 M L||2||Mod.9Cr 1Mo|
Key projects executed by WIL in Nuclear field
- Waste Management plant for NPCIL TAPP-3&4 : Supply, Erection & Commissioning of Mechanical, Piping, Electrical & Instrumentation required for
- Spent Fuel Storage Facility for BARC Kalpakkam : Supply, Erection & Commissioning of Mechanical, Piping, Electrical & Instrumentation.
- Additional Waste Tank Farm for BARC Trombay : Supply, Erection & Commissioning of Mechanical, Piping, Electrical & Instrumentation.
- Sodium piping for BHAVINI, PFBR 500 MWe Project at Kalpakkam (Under execution): Supply, Erection & Commissioning of Mechanical, Piping & Instrumentation required for Sodium & Misc. Piping.
1) Vice Admiral (Retd.) N M Nadaph, President
Walchandnagar Industries Ltd.
15/1/B-2 G.A. Kulkarni Path
Opp. Karishma Society Gate No. 2,
Pune – 411 038, Maharashtra, India.
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +91 (020) 30252 400/600/700/757
Fax: +91 (020) 30252 746